- DomoNation: is a free animation website that is powered by Go! Animate. The site is very intuitive to use and makes impressive cartoon animations. Students can create animations with backdrops, characters, dialogue, props, music, and special effects. Students can create on scene or several to make up their animation.
- Voki: Create Speaking Avatars
- Xtranormal: a website where you can create text-to-speech based computer animated videoclips, featuring animated three-dimensional characters speaking in monotone computer voices.
- EasyBib (free web tool) an automatic bibliography and citation maker. Be it a book, a journal, a website or a newspaper, EasyBib will help in providing the right citation and in the three reputed formats : MLA, APA, Chicago
- Citation Machine (free web tool) an automatic bibliography and citation maker.
- WordPress: a free and open source blogging tool
- iBook Author: (app): an amazing app that allows anyone to create beautiful Multi-Touch textbooks — and just about any other kind of book — for iPad. With galleries, video, interactive diagrams, 3D objects, and more
- iBooks Generator:Embed Youtube & Vimeo video inside your iBook with one click; Embed Google Maps with POI
- UDL Book Builder: Use this site to create, share, publish, and read digital books that engage and support diverse learners according to their individual needs, interests, and skills.
- Genius Scan - PDF scanner (free app): Genius Scan turns your iPhone into a pocket scanner. It enables you to quickly scan documents on the go and email the scans as JPEG or PDF.
- Image To Text - OCR (free app): ImageToText app allows you to extract editable ASCII text from images, and share the results by EMAIL or EVERNOTE.
- JotNot Scanner (free app): JotNot converts your iPhone into a portable multipage scanner. You can use JotNot Free to scan multipage documents, receipts, whiteboards, business cards and notes into an electronic format.
Communication / Social Networking
- ePals: social network optimized for K-12 learning
- Skype: Skype is a free and easy way for teachers to meet new people, talk to experts, share ideas
- Comic Sketch: another cool website that lets users draw comics and share them with others.
- FlipToon ($0.99 app): Creative your own world of cartoon animations
- Pixton: (web based) a social community where anyone can easily create, share, remix and publish their comic strip stories with people around the globe.
- Strip Designer: ($2.99 app) Impress your friends with your own personal comic strips, created on your iPad, iPhone or iPod using just the photos from your photo album or iPhone camera.
- ToonDoo: a site where people can create their own cartoons
- http://www.toon-books.com/cartoon-makers.html several linke to comic strip creators or a comic book creator with tutorials (web based)
Concept Mapping / Charts
- Chartle (free web tool) a great web tool that allows users to easily and instantly create interactive charts. These charts can be used on your classroom blog or website and can also be printed out. Chartle has some very interesting features and is very easy to use.The only thing yo will need to start using Chartle is to have Java activated on your browser.
- Google Charts (free) a free service that allows users to create awesome charts and graphics. It has a rich gallery of charts of varying formats. Users can choose from Line charts, Bar charts, Pie charts, Map charts, Scatter charts, Venn charts, QR codes, and Google-O-Meter charts. Once you select a chart you can then customize it the way you want.
- InstaGrok (free; premium costs) a great mapping tool that allows students to learn about any topic by exploring connections between concepts/facts on an interactive concept map that is totally customizable and sharable
- Popplet (free web tool) one of the best applications for visual ideas . It combines presentations , mindmapping and online bulletins. It also allows users to integrate text, image, video, and Google maps and use it as a bulletin board to use it to record thoughts and many more.
Digital bulletin boards / Posters
- Glogster: a social network that allows users to create free interactive posters, or Glogs. A "Glog", short for "graphics blog", is an interactive multimedia image
- Lino: an online web sticky note service that can be used to post memos, to-do lists, ideas, and photos anywhere on an online web canvas.
- Pinterest: an online pinboard
- Wallwisher: an online notice board maker; an online collaboration tool to share ideas, resources, and thoughts on a particular topic
- Wordle: an online tool for creating word clouds from passages of text. The more frequently a word appears in the text, the larger it shows up in the word cloud. Ways to use Wordle.
- Discovery Tools and Resources
- FaceJack ($1.99 app): Make a video* of someone's face saying whatever you want it to say!
- Perspective (free app): a platform for exploring, creating, and sharing audiovisual stories
- Fotobabble (free app): instantaneously create and share your Talking Photos
- SonicPics ($.99 app): SonicPics makes digital storytelling fun and easy! Turn your photographs into narrated slideshow movies to share with your family and friends!
- Storybirds: short, art-inspired stories you make to share, read, and print.
- StoryKit (free app): Create an electronic storybook.
Drawing & Painting Tools
- Chogger: a simple platform where you can use different tools to create awesome drawings. It is free and web based
- COLOURlovers: a creative community where people from around the world create and share colors, palettes and patterns, discuss the latest trends and explore colorful articles.
- Doink: a simple and friendly vector editor that lets users create flash-style animations.
- Drawing for children: a free drawing program for children with many nice options. It lets users draw with many different pens, and put stamps on their drawings. It is available for download for free..
- FlockDraw: a free to use online whiteboard based painting and drawing tool. It makes it easy to draw online free with multiple people .
- Kerproof: has a section dedicated for users to create and exercise their drawing skill using several tools
- Livebrush: a drawing application. It employs an easy-to-use brush tool that reacts to your gesture. By combining simple motion controls with brush styles, Livebrush offers a fun and unique way to create graphics.
- Odosketch: another cool tool that lets you create great looking sketches for free. It requires a sign up.
- Pencil: Pencil is an animation/ drawing software for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux. It lets you create traditional hand-drawn animation ( cartoon ) using both bitmap and vector graphics. Pencil is free and open source. it requires download.
- Psyko Paint: website where users learn and enjoy painting using a wide variety of tools such as brushes, pencils, and many more. It is so much fun to use.
- QuikMaps: allows users to draw a quick map. It is very easy to use but it requires a sign up which is completely free.
- Simple Draw: free app which allows for quick and easy drawing and doodling. Designed with instant usability in mind, this application will allow you to start drawing right away without any bothersome start menus, splash screens, or ads.
- Sketchfu: This is a great free web tool that allows users to easily draw and create sketches and share them with others. It requires a sign up.
- Sketchpad: a cool platform that you can use to make awesome drawings using text and a wide range of colours and patterns.
- Tux Paint: a free drawing program for children ages. It has a user friendly interface, and fun sound effects. It is available for download for Windows XP, 2000, Vista 7.
"ePortfolios" ... are personal online spaces for students to access services and store work.
- Mahara: open source ePortfolios
- Foliji: an easy way to build your own folios (portfolio, website, webpage) and it provides both the structure and a template for you.
Create Fake Facebook Pages
- Fakebook: allows students to create imaginary profile pages for study purposes.
Electronic Field Guide
Leafsnap for iPad - Leafsnap contains beautiful high-resolution images of leaves, flowers, fruit, petiole, seeds, and bark. Leafsnap currently includes the trees of the Northeast and will soon grow to include the trees of the entire continental United States.
Flashcard Making Tools
- Braineos: Braines is an awesome web tool where students can create flashcards, and play games. It also has a search functionality in case you want to discover others flashcards.
- CoboCards: Cobo Cards is a great free flashcard software that enables users to create- alone or in team - flash cards online and save your knowledge.
- Ediscio: Ediscio is another great free software that allows users to create and share flashcards.
- FauxFlash: FauxFlash is a great online application that takes the hassle out of flash cards and lets you easily get right to studying.
- Flashcard DB: FlashcardDB is another cool web tool that allows users to make , study and share flashcards online
- Flashcards Friends: Flashcards Friends allows users make flashcards, to find and modify existing flashcards, share them with friends and many more.
- FunnelBrain: FunnelBrain gives students a new way to learn. It lest you form study teams, play games, take quizzes,and create flashcards
- ProProfs Flashcards: This is an online free flashcards maker that lets users print, download, and study using free flashcard software.
- Quizlet: Quizlet is a lightning fast way to memorize vocabulary lists. It's like flashcards, but much more fun and interactive. They also have a free app called Flashcardlet.
- StudyBlue: make study and share online flashcards, study guides and quizzes
- StudyDroid: You can use StudyDroid to create cards on the web right from your browser. It supports text, images and many more.
- Study Stack: StudyStack automatically creates activities based on the data from your flashcard. This tool is very easy to use and has a user friendly interface.
iPod File Converters
- iSquint: a free iPod video conversion app for Macs that compresses and converts QuickTime files into iPod compatible mp4 files
- Jodix: iPod file converter for Windows computers
MultiMedia: Movies, Slide Shows, Videos, Comics
- Animoto: Turn your photos, video clips, and music into stunning video masterpieces to share with everyone. Fast, free, and shockingly easy!
- Cinemagram (free app): Create a stunning hybrid between photo and video. Animate small portions of your photo to create a magical image that's part-photo and part-video. Apply vintage / cross processing filters, and share your masterful creation.
- Gliffy: a web-based diagram editor. Create and share flowcharts, network diagrams, floor plans, user interface designs and other drawings online.
- Green Screen Movie FX: ($1.99) The app gives you the ability to use an special effect known as Chroma Key or Green Screen in a simple, fun and quick way. Simply select multiple colors in the viewfinder by tapping the screen and instantly replace it with a video or picture of your choice.
- Jing: a screencasting computer program that takes a picture or video of the user's computer screen
- MadPad ($0.99 app): a multiple-screen video display; Just aim and shoot to capture sounds all around you - your local café, car, kitchen, kids, cat, friends - MadPad magic will take care of the rest. Easily record video clips to create interactive video sets.Mix in clips from other sets to add a new element
- Metta: (web based) Keep Stories Rolling-Grab videos, pictures, text paragraphs from any source and turn them into short movies.
- Morph Thing: free web based program that allows you to combine two faces into one.
- SaveVid: Savevid.com is a tool which gives you the ability to download videos from streaming video sites. You can download videos from Youtube, Google Videos, Metacafe and more in FLV, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV formats.
- Show Beyond: an online photo slideshow story creator and sharing community.
- Splice: (free/$3.99 full version) a video editor app; Splice together HD photos and videos in an amazingly simple way. Add music tracks from your iPod library, sound effects, transitions, borders, effects (like Ken Burns, slow motion and fast forward), trim video and audio, narrate with your own voice, and much more.
- Super 8 app ($.99): a full-featured video recorder designed to emulate Super 8 film cameras
- Voice Thread: a collaborative, multimedia slide show that holds images, documents, and videos and allows people to navigate slides and leave comments in 5 ways - using voice (with a mic or telephone), text, audio file, or video (via a webcam).
- Pandora Radio app (free): Pandora Radio is free personalized radio that only plays music you’ll love. Just start with the name of one of your favorite artists, songs or classical composers and Pandora will create a custom "station" that plays similar music.
- Slaker Radio app (free): Listen to free personalized radio on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Slacker Radio features more personalized content than any other radio service, with music, ESPN Radio, live sports, ABC News, comedy and much more! This free app gives you access to the entire Slacker music library featuring millions of songs from thousands of artists.
- Evernote (free app): The Evernote family of products help you remember and act upon ideas, projects and experiences across all the computers, phones and tablets you use
- mySchoolNotebook: (free) a great tool for students. With its help, you can easily write your notes to a computer, edit and format them or insert an image or a video into them.
Note taking tools
- Catch (free) a great tool for both desktop and mobile devices. It allows its users to catch anything online and create out of it a bookmark ; be it a text note, voice note, or images.
- Evernote (free) one of the famous web2.0 tools online . It is a free application that allows its users to “ capture anything , save your ideas , and access your information from anywhere using either a computer, or a phone and mobile devices.
- Gumnotes (free) Gumnotes is a great note taking tool that allows its users to stick notes easily to their documents. It does not only allow for note taking but also for annotating web pages too. You can add notes to websites in Firefox, Internet-Explorer and all other website-browsers. You can also annotate your documents in Word, Excel, and images.
- MySchoolNotebook (free) allows its users to instantly take and edit their notes. Students can use this tool to save and access their noets wherever they are with an internet connection. It even has a mobile app for the Android, iPhone, and iPad.
- Notezz! (free) You can use it to take and save notes online at the instant of a click. Just keep in mind that it does require a sign up.
Office Suites Online
- Google Drive: a free, Web-based office suite and data storage service offered by Google.
- Aviary: A fully-functioning web and mobile image editor
- blabberize: (web based) a site where you can upload a picture and make it talk.
- Crop for Free (free app): Cropping is a must-have utility, and this one is free. Just click the crop icon, grab the red brackets in any corner of the photo and drag to size. Easy as pie."
- Fotolr - Photo Editor (free app): Fotolr is a professional image processing app. No matter you are a professional or a novice, you can make amazing photo effects within less than one minute with this app.
- Frame X Frame (free app): Frame X Frame by JOBY is a one-stop camera app that expands the photography capabilities of your iPhone. Produce fantastic stop motion animation videos, stunning time lapse photography, and fun self-timer shots!
- Gorillacam (free app): Gorillacam is fast, packed with features, and built with you in mind. It revolutionizes the way you take photos on the iPhone. Gorillacam only works on the iPhone.
- Pro HDR ($1.99 app): Automatically create stunning full-resolution HDR images with just a single tap! New version 4 includes beautiful filters and frames, lets you add captions, and is much faster with background rendering. Pro HDR supports iPhone, iPad, and iPod natively.
- Photoshop Express for iOS (free app): Snap, edit, and share great-looking, in-the-moment shots with Adobe's all-in-one mobile photo app
- Prezi: a cloud-based presentation software that opens up a new world between whiteboards and slides
- Youblisher: within minutes, youblisher will turn your magazines, catalogs, business reports, presentations and all other pdf documents into publications with flippable pages!
iAnnotate: ($9.99 app) iAnnotate turns your iPad into a world-class productivity tool for reading, marking up, and sharing PDF documents. See examples of what it can do.
- Educreations app (free): Educreations turns your iPad into a recordable whiteboard. Creating a great video tutorial is as simple as touching, tapping and talking. Explain a math formula... Create an animated lesson... Add commentary to your photos... Diagram a sports play...
- Explain Everything app ($2.99): Explain Everything is an easy-to-use design tool that lets you annotate, animate, and narrate explanations and presentations. You can create dynamic interactive lessons, activities, assessments, and tutorials using Explain Everything's flexible and integrated design. Use Explain Everything as an interactive whiteboard using the iPad 2 (and the new iPad) video display.
- Screenbird: web based screen capture tool (free verson will keep your videos for 6 months and then they will be delete from their site) No signing in, just hit record and it starts.
- ScreenChomp app (free): A simple doodling board, markers, and one-click sharing tools make spreading your ideas and know-how easy and fun!
- Show Me app (free): Turn your iPad into your personal interactive whiteboard! ShowMe allows you to record voice-over whiteboard tutorials and share them online.
- Dipity: an interactive, visually engaging timeline in minutes. Use dynamic visualization tools to display photos, videos, news and blogs in chronological order
- Units app (free): a really useful app that lets you easily convert from various units into lots of others.
- Pixorial (free web tool) simple yet effective video creation and edition tool; easily create videos, add titles, transitions, and overlay text and music; can also store or share their videos either privately or in public
- Audioboo (free app): an application for recording and sharing your voice with the world. This free version allows you to create audio up to 3 minutes in length and post that to your own account on the web. You can add titles, tags, geolocation info and a photo to the recording before you upload it and we'll save all that with the file.
- Audio Memos: (free app): a voice recorder for the iPhone and iPad. It's also easy to use, with a simple and intuitive interface. Yet with many advanced features as volume boost, volume normalizing, editing of recordings and more
- iTalk Recorder (free app): a full-featured recording app with a streamlined and intuitive user interface.
Websites: Create a website
Websites: Take information from websites and change to a different format
- DotEPUB works similarly to Joliprint but instead of turning a web site into a pdf DotEPUB turns it into an ePub for opening in iBooks. Again here is a video tutorial that shows you how- also handy for showing you the clever things you can do with ePubs in iBooks.
- Joliprint is not an App, but a FREE resource on the web that will turn a website article into a PDF that you can open in other application. It can be a bit finicky to set up but is well worth the effort. Here is a video of how to do it.
Wiki: A wiki is a Web site that allows users to add and update content on the site using their own Web browser.
- Frredomshare: A very easy to use site that can create a simple wiki that can be shared w/ others or made private. Also, as w/ most wikis the ability to add comments can be turned on or off.
- Google Sites: A nice free way to create a project wiki through the use of awesome Google tools.
- PBworks: Very similar to Wikispaces and free for a basic account
- Weebly: A popular website creator for education that allows for blogging and a creation of a site that can be used as a wiki.
- Wikia: A fun site for creating a nice visual wiki.
- Wikispaces: One of the most popular wiki creators on the web that is free for education, that can also be made private (ie, password protected).
- Wikispot: Not only can you create a free wiki here, Wikispot teaches you how to create a wiki and compares what a good wiki is vs a bad wiki.
- Wetpaint: Wikis in Education by Wetpaint is a great way to create a educational wiki and join a community of over 3000 members.
- Tagxedo: famous speeches, news articles, slogans and themes, even your letters -- into a visually stunning word cloud, words individually sized appropriately to highlight the frequencies of occurrence within the body of text. How to Make a Collage of Words in Any Shape using Tagxedo.
How to ...
Maze Game (ordered pairs)
Spiritual Gifts Online Inventories
Kid's Search Tool Links
Learning Styles/Multiple Intelligence
[Home] [Miss Stanley] [Email]
These pages are maintained by Peggy Jo Stanley.
Last updated on 7/4/2013
© PjS's Crafty Designs